Thursday, November 12, 2015

What Grinds My Gears; the danger of extremes

         In every one of the debates I was dragged into, I was required to choose one side over another, and it is always difficult for me to support one side wholeheartedly. I find it concerning people are blind to the entirety of the issue by only one side of the facts. It breaks my heart that people will take their opinion so seriously that they despise others for believing in a contradicting opinion.
When we look at issues, there are inherit biases that we take on that sometimes may make us seek out information that proves what we believe to be true. This is very apparent in debates as many participants try to hide some of the truth or blatantly lie in order to win. This is by far the most aggravating thing and the thing I hate most about debates. An open discussion where a whole spectrum of opinions is tolerated would be much more favorable. For one, it does not pin up an “us versus them” mentality, but rather enables various views to be brought up that many may not have considered.
Nothing in this world is truly black and white; in reality, it is just different shades of gray. I agree the world has benefited from new radical ideas, but let us not forget ideas also have the capability to cause unimaginable atrocities. I think a balance of everything will benefit all us.  But, hey, that is just my opinion.


By: Joseph Pham

0 comments:

Post a Comment