Monday, April 17, 2017

What's Your Favorite Thing About Yourself?

“What’s your favorite thing about yourself?”

I’m sure many people have never considered the question, “what’s your favorite thing about yourself?” Maybe there’s no need to ask; it’s just a subconscious knowledge you don’t need to ponder. Maybe you have been suffering with self-esteem problems and can’t wrap your mind around the idea of having a favorite thing about yourself. Maybe you don’t want to think about yourself in that way because your humility is too prominent. Maybe you can’t pick just one thing. Whatever the reason, I firmly believe it’s very imperative to know the goodness in yourself.

“My confidence”
The first person I asked this question to, thought about it for a moment, then decided fairly quickly. This friend of mine has been on stage and performing for a very long time so I can understand this viewpoint of hers. However, when she’s not onstage, I’ve noticed that she still holds herself with confidence and I acknowledge that quality about her. I’m glad she knows it too.


“I don’t know”
The next person I asked could not come up with an answer for this question. If given the right amount of time, I’m sure she could find out what she likes most about herself but at that given moment, she hadn’t had much thought about it. However, I know that she is very hardworking and I appreciate that about her whether she knows it or not.


 “…I’m imaginative… I can absolutely lose myself in daydreams and build them into stories…”
This person that I asked was more specific in the certain area that he liked most. He is a writer so it’s understandable that this skill can help to give him more experience in what he likes to do best. Often, a favorite element such as this can really indicate what a person is passionate about and what they should pursue in study or career. I know he is a stunningly talented writer and genuinely good person with a bright future of his own.


 “My free will”
The next person I asked responded quickly. He seemed to be prepared for this question as if he had thought seriously about it before. This simple yet deep answer is very fitting for this person as I also view him as a free spirit. He is respectful and well-mannered because he chooses to be and he’s curious about the things that truly interest him. His answer is very true for his knowledge of himself and his understanding of the world around him.


 “…My mind is very independent… I don’t need much validation…”
Yes, this is my favorite thing about myself. In a way, it’s all I need. With this knowledge of myself, I often accept things for my very experience of them. When I’m feeling sad, I accept that that’s the way it is currently and I trust it’ll get better soon. If I’m happy, I don’t need anyone to remind me to “live in the moment” because I already am. If I’m feeling badly about myself (grades, appearance, friends) I remind myself of times when I was happy and realize that this low streak is only temporary. If I’m feeling good about myself, I take note of it for myself, even if nobody else validates me. This is very important to the standard I hold myself to.

These example are only the first response to this question. Yet, in a way, they are the most pure response because they haven’t over-thought the question, to a point where all their responses could make the true answer foggy. If you haven’t given this a thought before, find your pure answer, however possible.


“What is your favorite thing about yourself?”



By: Katie McAuliffe

0 comments:

Post a Comment