Tuesday, November 21, 2017

The Cost of Magic

May 12, 2016

Dear Violet,
      I'm sorry. So so sorry. I have to go. I know you don't understand but I hope that this letter will explain things a bit more.
      Simply put, I am a witch. I don't have a broom or an odd hat. I do have a wand but I rarely use it. Most witches are like me. Our "trademarks" have been forbidden for years. We used to live out in the open until your kind decided that we were "too dangerous". I really can't disagree. Since Salem all magic users have lived in the underground. There we can use and hone our magic. We also learn to cover up the signs of our powers. I am an Illusionist that dabbles in Alchemy.
      My kind is everywhere in your life, Violet. Your trusted police officers are Polygraphs or Hunters. Coroners might be your local Necromancer. Florists and gardeners are Earth mages. Artists are often Illusionists but other types have grown to create as well. You probably don't believe me and I don't blame you. It is hard to have your world view be changed. But we are here. And maybe not for much longer.
      Something is sapping our power. Recently I decided to ask around and rest at a Coven. They were suffering the same effects I am. I went to see a Numerator to try and see if they would divine my future. (I've always found that Numerators were better at that than Diviners.) Their powers were weak but warned of danger. Both that I knew and didn't know.
      I remembered this but wasn't too concerned. I should have been. I feel as though I have had a tail or that a Hunter put a tracking spell on me. Perhaps I am too paranoid.
      I enclosed a necklace for you. It has a disillusionment spell on it. With the necklace you will be able to see magic. Don't touch it unless you are sure you want to see. Go to the bridge on 7th street and underneath it there are beautiful murals. Act normal. I don't know what is after me or if it will come after you.


Best wishes,
Phee



May 23, 2016

Dear Violet,
      Have you ever had a feeling that something wasn't right? Places like broken lighthouses, rest stops, and deep in the mountains? That is us. All people connect with magic. Some call it religion or fate.  Some of us can use it. I never cared to learn why. I feel like I should have. Perhaps what is happening would make more sense.
      Deep inside me, I don't believe so though. Feelings. You learn to trust your feelings as a witch. Instinct saves lives. Great motto. It's used with you humans. Think everything's ok, but feel like you are going to be hurt? Get out. Know you did the spell right, but it feels wrong? It's wrong.
      What's my point? I feel that something is terribly wrong. An ancient witch might know what to do. I'm not sure there is even a spell for what is happening. I suppose magic could reject us. I'm taking responsibility for what is happening. I don't want to lose magic and I don't think my people could take the consequence of it. After all, we aren't too much different from you.
      I went to an apothecary to get some potion ingredients. Magic extension potions and things like that. I feel the slow trickle of magic draining from me. Chaos has started to erupt in outside magic towns. Magic gives people control over something, I guess. They can't stand not having it. I'm not sure going to a magic stronghold is a good idea. I would like see how they are dealing though. Most wise magic users avoid strongholds for as long as they can. Trust is an issue in those places.
      Don't go to the sketchy parts of town. (The sketchy feeling is a spell. For both of our races' protection.)
      I am sending these letters by owl. I know it's unconventional especially for an Unconnected like you. Thing is I don't trust your technology. Your people control too much of it. They can see what is said. My feeling says something awful has or will happen. These must be kept a secret between the two of us. Brandy is the owl's name. She will do fine on her own so long as you don't keep her in a cage. I've enchanted Brandy with a spell that prevents anyone from reading what she carries except for the recipient. (Remind me to tell you the story of the first time I preformed that spell.) Our line of communication should be safe.
      I understand you have questions. They need to be answered because I must trust you. Send a letter with Brandy and I will reply as soon as I can.

Stay safe,
Phee



May 25, 2016

Phoenix,
      Phoenix. I... I didn't believe you. I thought you were insane. No. You are insane. But I guess I'm insane with you to now.
      I didn't touch that necklace for a week. It gave me creepy vibes. Honestly I don't know how you deal with that magic stuff. Sets off the kidnapper alarm. Anyway, I touched it. At my house the first time. Everything looked normal except Brandy glowed. She looked at me like I was normal. (I've been getting weird side eyes from that owl. Teach it manners.) Let me tell you. That necklace went down as fast as I could manage.
      Next day comes. Curiosity killed the cat. I wore some gloves and put the necklace in my bag. 7th street is the definition of sketchy. Until I put that necklace on. Murals jumped out at me.  The air buzzed. I could almost hear the stories those murals told me. I kept walking. That place isn't sketchy. It's beautiful. Why would you hide that? I take the necklace off at night but I keep it on or in my bag during the day. (Don't want to take a chance with the new boss.)
      Now for the floodgate of questions. I know the first few are kind of stupid but still. Are the tooth fairy, the Easter bunny, and Santa real? Are they magic? Can kids connect with magic better? How did that stuff just appear? Are you some kind of super evolved human? How long have witches existed? What types of magic are there? Do bad witches exist? Can they be stopped? What with the "I must trust you" stuff? We are friends. Trust is in that deal. Things aren't that bad, are they?
      Most importantly, are you ok? This loss of magic stuff seems fishy to me. I mean if I was a psycho witch with a vendetta, I might just consider getting rid of magic to spite someone. Maybe. Hypothetically. I'm thinking about what humans (gosh that's weird to say) would do for power. Let me tell you, we do and would do a lot for a taste of power. I trust you and your "instinct" or whatever but be careful. I want to see my friend again. You are headed head first into something big. I don't think either of us know quite what it is yet though.
      Oh! I almost forgot. I haven't felt anything come after me. The necklace puts me on edge and I'm getting used to it. I suppose that could be someone or something but I'm happy to report no attacks on my life. I'd like to keep it that way. And I wish the same for you too.

Best of luck on your insane quest,
V



By: Rachael Battey

0 comments:

Post a Comment