Sunday, February 28, 2016

International Update: Jung Kim


Jung Kim is an international student from Korea, and also a great friend of mine. She is an amazing friend for her kindness and helpfulness. If you are looking to learn about Korean culture, she is a great person to go talk to. Jung Kim graciously took a few minutes out of her busy day of studying (to maintain her St. Thomas club status) to talk to me about her experiences.



Q: Where are you from?

A: I'm from South Korea.



Q: Is this your first year here at Aquinas? If not, when did you first come to Aquinas?

A: Yes, this is my first year at Aquinas.





Q: What grade are you in?

A: I'm in 10th grade.



Q: How is school going for you? Have you gotten involved in clubs or sports? Which ones?

A: School has given me so many opportunities. I'm involved in women's leadership, theatre club, and mathletes. There are so many things that I can do in school, and I want to try other new things, too!



Q: Are any of those things new for you?

A: All of those things are new for me. When I was in Korea, I was really busy with lots of school work and studying so I didn’t really have any extra time. You won’t believe it, but we normally stay at high school until 9 pm. I'm so happy to be here because besides studying, I can now do a lot of different things during my school life! It’s awesome.



Q: What’s different between the USA and your country?

A: School finishes earlier in the USA so I can have more free time. Also here in Aquinas, there are many activities that I can join like the musical, sports, and so on. In Korea I usually got home late from private study hall or tutoring or something. Here I usually get home really early! It's a big change for me. I can't believe I come home before the family dinner!



Q: How have you made friends? Has it been different making friends here than it is at home?

A: The way to make friends is a little bit different but I still find good friends here! I make friends with my heart and that makes things easier. I joined the musical, and I met many good friends from there. We are just like a family. I feel so happy about that.



Q: Where in Rochester have you been? Do you have any favorite places?

A: I went to Eastman music library. I like that place because it is located in downtown and it is so quiet which helps me focus on studying. If I get the chance, I want to visit the downtown library. There are so many interesting places in Rochester where I have not visited yet.



Q: How does it feel to be so far away from home?

A: I miss my home sometimes. I think it is not easy for a teenager to stand by themselves, but when I do things by myself it makes me more confident! There are many people like my host family, local coordinator, friends, and teachers who help me out a ton.



Q: When you get homesick, how do you cope?

A: I talk with my family at home and talk with my friends! I also imagine summer time when I meet with my family and friends. Nowadays there are so many ways to get in contact with people in other countries so it is not as hard as it used to be! I was in New Zealand in 2008 and at that time I needed to buy a 'phone card' to call to Korea, and I had to text in email because we did not have smartphones or anything like that. It was so hard to contact home, but now we all have smartphones, and there are so many apps that we can use.



Q: How is your host family?

A: They are so nice to me. They try to make me feel comfortable at home, and it works! They help me a lot and care about me a lot. I'm so lucky to be here with them! Thank you, my USA family!



Q: Are there any differences between your American family and your family at home?

A: My host family goes to bed much earlier, but the biggest difference are the meals. We eat more rice in my hometown than here. But my host parent is a really good cook, and I love their cooking. You can’t imagine how nice they are. I feel family love here in the USA the same as I do at home. I love my host family. Thank you so much again!



Q: What is the most important thing you learned about life while you have been here?

A: I learned that new challenge always teaches me a lesson! Being here is my newest challenge, and I have learned a lot. I feel like I can take on more challenges. Even though my host family helps me a lot, I need to do a lot of things by myself. This experience has influenced my life a lot. I have become more independent, and I learned a great deal through this experience. I have also realized how important family is. Before I came here, I knew family was important, but now I really know how important family truly is. Now, I realized how much they support me and believe in me. I am so grateful for my parents giving me this precious experience.



Q: Do you have any plans for the future?

A: I don't really have any specific plans, but I want to do another challenge like this… maybe traveling all around the world. My new life in America changed me a lot. I feel more confident in myself, and I feel really independent.



Q: How do your past and future look from where you are today?

A: I feel as though I was so much younger before. Before, I thought I could be independent, but now I see this is the time of my life where I’m truly independent. So I think I can live my life with more confidence in the future, which I’ve gained through this experience.



Q: What do you think about your Aquinas family?

A: Every single person at Aquinas is so nice. They care about the international students,and that makes me feel comfortable. I feel like we are family! They care about me and help me so much. Thank you to my Aquinas family!



Q: What is something you would like to tell your family back at home right now?

A: It has already been 5 months since I have come to Aquinas, and everything is good so far. I want to tell them don’t worry about me too much, and I’m doing well here with a new family, new friends and a new school. Also, it’s Korean New Year! So I want to say Happy New Year to my family!


by: Kunru Li

1 comment:

  1. a really great interview- thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete