Saturday, November 29, 2014

Profile of an International Student



     One of the nice things about Aquinas is the diverse mix of students. Throughout the course of the day we may interact with people from the farthest corners of the earth and not even realize it. There are quite a lot of foreign exchange students, and I have found that it is natural to be curious about what their lives are like, to wonder how they got here and why they may have wanted to come. I know I have tried countless times to put myself in their shoes without much success (and asking your friends too many questions at once can seem pesky.) So, I sat down with Zoowoo “Andy” Yu and Daeul Hwang to ask the pressing questions that we don’t normally get to address.



What was life like back in your home country?

            Andy and Daeul are both from South Korea, so the popular subject that came up for this question is a place called Academy. Apparently, academics can tend to dominate the time and attention of Korean students more than they do here in the United States. “High school students have to go to school from 7:00 am to 10:00 pm, which is crazy. But it is very normal in Korea,” writes Daeul. Academy is a place in addition to school, where kids go to study after school or on weekends. Students may have tutors as well.



How did you end up in Rochester?

The decision to participate in an exchange student program is monumental. The surprising thing about it is that the students themselves are often the ones who take the initiative to find agencies and choose countries to study in. They also have to convince their parents that the experience will be beneficial, since there is the whole issue of tuition. Exchange programs offer a bevy of different locations. “My first international student [program] was when I went to the Philippines. Then I came back to Korea, where I lived. I studied in Korea for one year, then I felt that I wanted to go to America,” says Andy. What ultimately brings people to Rochester is our school, Aquinas. Students who are not citizens of the United States cannot go to public school for more than one year. So, that makes private schools like ours all the more appealing. For Andy, Aquinas was actually his first choice. “I saw the school website; I took a test, and I felt like Aquinas was actually my place; I still feel that.”



What is it like having to use English so frequently?

            Students learn English as early as first grade, in school, the same way we learn languages like French and Spanish. However, seriously pursuing English as a second or third language is a personal responsibility. “I never really studied [it] until I was in 8th grade...During summer break of 8th grade, I actually started to learn English,” writes Daeul. Using it often is evidently something that becomes easier over time. “When I first came to America, it was very weird and uncomfortable for me to speak English because I had never used it in Korea as much. It was also very stressful because I had to write a lot of essays and study everything in English,” she continues. For students like Andy, who have been doing this for years at a time (six, to be specific), English can feel better than their native language at times. It becomes increasingly comfortable with time.



What do you think of Americans and American life?

            This question brings up many interesting points. One thing both Andy and Daeul agree on is that our lifestyle permits young people to be more outgoing. For Daeul, it is the school system that provides opportunities. “I love American school system[s] because we get to choose what classes to take and there are many activities I can participate in.” What permits Andy to be more outgoing is the culture and nature of the people here. He says that in a new country there is a tentative feeling in learning what is acceptable. But here in the U.S., people do not care too much about what others do. This is not always the case in other countries. “Sometimes I have a hard time questioning [and asking] myself if it’s okay for me to do this in America because I don’t know all about America.” He finds reassurance in the people here. “I’ve met people who are very friendly to me, very kind to me, who offer me a lot and help me.”



What is it like living with a host family?

            Surprisingly enough, living with a host family is not uncomfortable. According to Andy and Daeul, it is a wonderful experience regardless of whether the family is up to par or not. “Families are your friends,” says Andy. It is good to spend time with them and have a mind to give and take because the goal is to have a healthy relationship with the family. Sometimes the cultural differences living with a host family can present challenges as well. “The first year and second year in [the] US, I was double hosted, so I had to live with another exchange student. [I] had [a] hard time because of the cultural differences, but after several months, we became like real sisters…” writes Daeul. For Andy, there was a huge cultural difference concerning his independence. “In Korea, parents still think that, until you are age 19, a kid is a kid, not really a grown up adult.” Parents do most of the things that would require responsibility, and kids rely on them. In America, parents gradually allow us to do things on our own (i.e. chores, driving, cooking), which was different for Andy. “I never really cleaned my room myself in Korea. But here I get to know [how to.]”



What will you learn from this experience?

            Participating in an exchange program is a great way to better yourself. On the surface, it gives students a chance to strengthen their English skills and an opportunity to learn about different cultures and traditions firsthand. The most important thing to take out of any experience like this is the character building. Students who do the program are learning more about themselves everyday. They develop social skills beyond compare and learn what they can truly accomplish. “Honestly, I have enjoyed my life here and don’t want to leave,” writes Daeul. I think it’s safe to say she speaks for the majority of international exchange students.


By: Jasmine Benjamin

0 comments:

Post a Comment